Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, April 11, 2011

Hot, Sandy, Hard Half Marathon

This past Saturday, Kasey, dad and I ran the Groveton Davey Crockett Bear Chase Half Marathon.

After running the Cowtown in Ft. Worth, we all decided we wanted to do one more half, while we were still trained, before it got too hot.

The week of the race, we couldn’t remember why in the world we signed up for this.  I had been sick since Tuesday, but I paid the money, so I had to run it!

DSCN0117

This race was quite a bit smaller than any race we have done in the past.  It was comparable to a 5K.  Nonetheless, we were ready to go!

DSCN0119DSCN0123

Turns out, this was the hardest run I have ever done.  I don’t know if it was because I was sick or if it was  because I pushed myself so hard to beat my goal of 2 hours.

DSCN0127

Really, I think it was so difficult because the first and last mile and a half was on a gravel rock road.  The middle two miles were through the woods on sand.  This was not even packed sand, it was loose beachy-type sand, and it sucked.

DSCN0129

About mile 11.5, I think my body started giving out.  I was stopping to walk without meaning to.  It was almost like I could not control what was happening, I just wanted to be done.DSCN0130

It was also about that time that I realized I would not make my goal time.

DSCN0136DSCN0137

Dad and Kasey both finished this awful race, too.

DSCN0138

Coming across the finish line, they both said, “That was ridiculous.”  or “That was the worst thing ever.”

DSCN0140DSCN0141

I am really glad we did this race.  I always am, looking back on the torture. 

DSCN0143

I can honestly say that I gave this race everything I had!  I am done with these long runs for a few months.  I’ll see what runs the fall brings.  But for now, I think we are going to start back up on P90X to get ready for Hawaii!!

0 comments: