I love to have a gorgeous, glowing tan every summer! What I normally do is start tanning in a tanning bed about three months before we go on vacation. That way, I am nice and dark and ready for the beach!
Well, a few months ago, I noticed a spot on my left cheek. Yuck. It didn't get smaller, just kept getting a little bigger and a little bigger... (I actually had people ask me if I had chocolate on my face.)
Today, I went to the dermatologist and she said she had to freeze it off! It wasn't raised or anything, but she just wanted to be safe and take it off. She also said that she sees more women, ages 25-30 coming in with signs of melanoma than anything else. It is because of how much sun we got before we turned 20 that is starting to hurt our skin now. Yikes! I got a lot of sun, everyday of every summer!
Anyway, I have another appointment with her for a full skin check. And I guess I won't be hitting the tanning bed before our vacation this summer! Bummer, but I'd rather not get skin cancer or any more spots on my face!
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Why Tanning is Bad...
Posted by Kelley and Addison at 10:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Oh my goodness that is crazy! I love to tan too. It makes me feel prettier, skinnier, clears my face, it's just great! But it is bad. And I am so sorry about Jimmy's dad, that is terrible. I hope you are all doing okay, and I will keep you both in my thoughts.
I hope it turns out to be ok. My mom had a spot removed from the top of her head last year. I think we all feel better with a tan, but I'll just have to learn to deal with my pasty skin. I'll be set if "pale" ever becomes popular.
I used to love to tan also. I had done it forever. But I gave it up about two years ago. It sucks, but I know it's a lot better for me. Now I'm like a major sunscreen feign- I put it on ALL the time because I'm scared of getting too wrinkled.
yikes! better to be safe than sorry! skin cancer runs in my family and I stopped tanning a few years ago....let the pasties unite!! :)
Well you know I had a low amount of skin cancer removed from the top of my head the summer after I graduated high school!!! So no more tanning for me either. Spray on tan if it is a must!
Oh no! Glad she took care of that. This past weekend I laid out 3 days straight in the sun & it was awesome!
Post a Comment